Wednesday 21 October 2009

Curds

I had some double cream which I had frozen. I defrosted it and it looked all weird, so I decided to try to make some cheese. I boiled the cream, added lemon juice and then strained the curdled liquid into a muslin over a sieve which was over a bowl and weighted. And waited.

I was left with a soft cheese, some very yellow fat which solidified over what I presume was the whey.

I drained away the whey, have salted the yellow fat and put it away since I'm not sure what to do with it, which leaves me with the cheese.

On its own it was disgusting. I have since added salt, crushed garlic and herbs and it tastes a bit better, a bit like Le Roulé. I may brave it on a cracker.

I am going on a short vacation soon, so I hope to report some good eating here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment