Friday 16 April 2010

No innovation

Nothing much to report, what a bad little blogger I am.

Our oven has been out of action for about 3 months, and somehow I think this is licence to not experiment with and make good food. This is of course nonsense.

Here are some things I would like to make in the near future which require no use of an oven:

- Oreo and malted chocolate ice cream
- Mung bean pancakes
- Kimchi
- Sourdough bread - True, I don't have an oven, I have nearby neighbours with ovens and a bread maker with a bake only function.

Yes, Kimchi, a very recent discovery (thanks Dan for introducing it to me) which deservedly gets my attention.



It's Korean pickled mostly cabbage but may have other vegetables like carrot or radish. Not just any cabbage, it uses the Napa variety, which I imagine is available in oriental grocery stores. Spicy, sour, fermented and oddly sometimes tasting like curried prawns, it gets a bit addictive. I'd like to use it in a recipe, rather than just eating it as a side accompaniment.

I have had one and only one sandwich for lunch this week: on buttered light brown bread, cheddar, home made tamarind sauce (thank you Humey) and plenty of iceberg lettuce. It's really rather good.

Another discovery made just last night is how good chips (from the chip shop) are with baked beans. Wow, wow and wow. It doesn't take a lot to please me.

No comments:

Post a Comment