Monday 15 June 2009

Heena 4 Chipotle 4-EVA

I am in love with chipotle (smoked jalapeno) chillies. This is better than love; this is addiction.

Such a hot hot taste, such a wonderful smoky flavour! I put it in with some beans, garlic, lime and red pepper and ate it with corn tortillas, tomato salsa, thick yogurt in place of sour cream and cheese. The dried chillies came looking like sun-dried tomatoes. I reconstituted a few and whizzed them up into a rough paste, and because they are so spicy hot, have a lot left over. I have been putting it into every meal I have eaten since I opened the packet.

I bought the chillies having been introduced to the taste by Matt, at whose house I ate some Guatemalan food; black beans with garlic and smoked chillies; salsa, guacamole, scrambled egg, rice and corn tortilla. He had spent time there and said that the Guatemalans he met often ate the same food with slight variation – probably depending on what was available- for many meals in a row. Imagine eating the same thing over and over again. I always thought I needed variety in my diet for taste's sake as much as nutrition- but maybe I wouldn't. I would like to think that I have more sophisticated tastes than my cat but she eats the same thing day in, day out and never tires of it. Maybe I could do the same. I'd like to eat the same thing over and over for a week, see how I fare. I think I'd be more than happy to do so if it had chipotle chillies in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment